If you aren’t already familiar with O.C. Writers, I’ll let you in on a little secret: we aren’t like other groups. We don’t charge membership dues. We don’t hold monthly meetings. And we aren’t bogged down by bureaucracy.
What we are is a motivated network of published and aspiring authors dedicated to supporting, encouraging, and learning from each other, as well as creating and sharing opportunities for writing growth. We started as a Facebook Group after Nanowrimo 2012 with just a few members and have since grown to more than 200 Facebook members, more than 200 Meetup.com members, and a newsletter mailing list of more than 100 members.
And why have we grown at such an incredible pace?
It’s because we offer some really cool stuff. Here’s a current list:
- Networking with and encouragement from a pretty awesome group of dedicated writers.
- This website, where you can always find information on what we do and how you can be involved.
- Weekly write-ins at various times and locations around Orange County, scheduled through our Meetup.com site.
- Lively discussion on our main Facebook group page.
- An online critique group, which runs through a Facebook group called O.C. Inklings.
- An online work-toward-your-goals Facebook group, called O.C. Writers Goals.
- A monthly in-person critique group, scheduled through our Meetup.com site.
- Occasional workshops on writing and publishing. Past workshops have focused on plotting methods, synopsis writing, and indie and boutique publishing options.
- A monthly newsletter emailed to subscribers so you won’t miss any of this great stuff.
- Opportunities to write for Orange County’s leading online magazine for local writers, Lit Central O.C.
- A Goodreads.com group where you can find all published work of fellow O.C. Writers.
- Social events
We’re also planning to coordinate group anthologies, as well as marketing and promotion opportunities for our published authors.
But these are just the ideas we’ve come up with so far. O.C. Writers and what we offer is — and always will be — a work in progress. That’s the true benefit of our group: we’re always going to grow and change, and with motivated writers like you, I’m sure we’ll keep getting better and better.